ABOUT The KEN L. POLLOCK CHILDREN's wing
The Ken L. Pollock Children's Wing, officially dedicated on October 3, 1982, reflects the continuing warm relationship between the citizens of our community and the Osterhout Free Library. The devotion of the community to the library was tangibly expressed through hundreds of pledges and gifts in a Capital Funds Campaign. All of these gifts, from the smallest to the most benevolent of Mr. Ken L. Pollock, expressed a commitment to this institution.
The Capital Campaign "Creating Room for Our Children" raised over $700,000. Mrs. Andrew J. Sordoni, III, general chairperson; Bernard F. Burgunder, honorary chairperson, and many other volunteers conducted the campaign from November 1980 to May 1981. Community Counselling Services Co. Inc was the professional fundraising counsel. Funds were designated for the air-conditioning of the existing building as well as for the construction of the Children's Wing of 3288 square feet, with a book capacity of 39,400 volumes.
One of the most interesting aspects of the construction was the transfer of the leaded windows from the stack wing to the new Children's Wing. The stack wing was constructed in 1908. Miss Myra Poland, the second Librarian of the Osterhout, developed the plan for the stained glass windows used in the stack. They contain designs pertaining to books, education, printing, and binding. Incidentally, the Osterhout Library was one of the first libraries in the country to open a dedicated Children's Room, in 1904.
Architect: Eyerman-Csala-Hapeman, Architectural and Structural Design
--Text adapted from the Dedication Day Program
Osterhout Free Library, A Member of the Luzerne Co. Library System
Central: 570-823-0156 | North: 570-822-4660 | Plains: 570-824-1862 | South: 570-823-5544